Monday, September 23, 2013

Commander League Week 4 updates and Chris Feliciano's Jor Kordeen

Welcome back WTF faithful. This is another edition of the WTF Commander League! Week 5 starts tomorrow, so please do stop in and play a few rounds. For this unsure, tomorrow night will mark the first night that Theros can join the EDH Community.So grab those decks, check out those generals, and be ready to face off with a great group of players at the Commander League!

After this week's standing, I have a small interview that I conducted with current 1st place holder, Chris Feliciano. His list and his thoughts on the format will be included after the standings, so please make sure to read up on them. 

Starting this week, I will be watching for decks and pilots to include for future Commander league updates. Normally, I would be looking for top finishes, but kooky decks or insane strategies also can count. So if you feel your brew deserves to be up here, prove it at WTF's Commander League, another small reason that we are the only store to play Magic in Manteca!

Week 4 Standings
1st Place: Chris Feliciano 42 points
2nd Place: Zachary Williams 37 points
3rd Place: Troy Reinhardt 34 points
4th Place: Alfredo Rincon 26 points
5th Place: Blaine Whitten 22 points
6th Place: Brittany Davis 21 points
7th Place: Tyler Clary 15 points
8th Place: Tim Mason 13 points
9th Place: Tyler Schafer 12 points
                Kendall Darling
                Kordell Darling
12th Place: Rodney Bastelman 10 points
13th Place: Brandon Coon 9 points
14th Place: Matt Woods 7 points
15th Place: Brett Chilcott 6 points
                  Tommy Levescy
                  Nate Polson
18th Place: Matt Ferguson 3 points
                  Israel Jacobo
                  Donald Joseph
                  Joe Moreira
                  

Chris Feliciano and Jor Kordeen!

Lands                                                                                              
13 Plains
9 Mountain
Great Furnace
Ancient Den
Clifftop Retreat
Rugged Praerie
Sacred Foundry
Battlefield Forge
Ancient Tomb
Rogue's Passage
Kher Keep
Blinkmoth Nexus
Darksteel Citadel
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
High Market
Wasteland
Strip Mine

Creatures
Legion Loyalist
Puresteel Paladin
Gold Myr
Iron Myr
Stoneforge Mystic
Etched Champion
Silverblade Paladin
Paladin En-Vec
Mirran Crusader
Hero of Bladehold
Urabrask, the Hidden
Sun Titan
Aurelia, the Warleader
Gisela, Blade of Goldknight

Instants/Sorceries
Faithless Looting
Shattering Spree
Gamble
Steelshaper's Gift
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Dispatch
Enlightened Tutor
Boros Charm
Dawn Charm
Wear//Tear
Chaos Warp
Wheel of Fortune
Oblation
Ghostaway
Order//Chaos
Return to Dust
Hallowed Burial
Reforge the Soul
Terminus
Austere Command

Artifacts
Tormod's Crypt
Relic of Progentitus
Skullclamp
Sensei's Divining Top
Expedition Map
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Scroll Rack
Boros Signet
Fellwar Stone
Grim Monolith
Lighting Greaves
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of War and Peace
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sunforger
Boros Keyrune
Darksteel Ignot
Thran Dynamo

Enchantments
Land Tax
Fervor
Aggravated Assault
Stranglehold
Assemble the Legion

Planeswalkers
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Elspeth Tirel

Interview with the Number 1!

Chris Feliciano. This man will tell you many things! He will tell you Boros is the best guild, bar none. He will tell you consuming a beetle will give you the strength of the beetle. Chris will even tell you to suck it, especially to a giant corporation. Tonight, ladies and gentleman, I sit down with the man known as Baloo an we discuss some EDH and the League!

So Chris, Why Jor Kordeen?
C: To me it was a choice between Jor Kordeen or Brion Stoutarm for the best general in Boros colors. I felt Brion was a little too slow for my taste, and I wanted to be the aggressor in many of the League games.

So Chris, when did you start Commander League?
C: I started week one, like the others.

As League has progressed, what changes have you made to your initial EDH list and why?
C: I used to play Crucible of Worlds, Armageddon and alot of land destruction to get ahead of the others. However, League's penalty to point for blowing up half a player's mana base in one go was pretty backbreaking for points for me. Instead I decided to cut the land destruction and play Sunforger and a package for it. In addition, my all-star for this list has to be Aggravated Assault. This enchantment plus Sword of Feast and Famine allows me to attack infinitely. Talk about the value! other than that, i tried experimenting with Koth and Gideon Jura and founding them lacking in this list. Vandalblast also managed to get cut because by the time I overloaded it for profit, at most I was hitting two artifacts.

If the league finished today, would you keep the changes you made to the list or would you revert?
C: I actually like how this new list is shaping up. As a result, I think I will keep this list the way it is.

So what was your best moment in League, and as a followup, your bad beat tale from League?
C: My best moment came when I equipped a 0/1 Kobold token from Kher Keep with a Sword of Feast and Famine and spent the next several turns going to town. Rogue's Passage allowed my little guy through, and Aggravated Assault sealed the deal.

C: My bad beat moment came when playing Alfredo and Brandon Coon. Alfredo used Living Death to bring back his army. I immediately used Terminus to clear the field and thought I was in the green. Alfredo then slammed down Drana, with plenty of mana up. With no way to play a dude and protect it in the same turn from Drana's ability, I was quickly mopped up.

So, what , if anything, has intrigued you for Theros?
C: The Hammer of Purphoros is a major upgrade to my list and will replace Fervor for the duration of League. Outside of the League, I plan to test the new Elspeth and Purphoros to see if they merit main deck slots during League.

Finally, what decks do you shudder to see and what decks do you love to play against?
C: I absolutely hate Sigarda, Zach's general with a passion. His deck is extremely fast and outside of my wraths, I have no ways to deal with her. Alfredo's list also present challenges since he loves to build fast decks, which may or may not include some combos.
    On the flip side, I love playing decks that require quite a bit of time to set up. Usually, I can cripple these players to the point of making them my lackeys by the time they get to "nuclear capability" 

Well Chris thanks for your list and that interview! It was a pleasure to see inside your head and speak about EDH as a whole.

Till next week's update WTF faithful, I am Brandon, signing off!






No comments:

Post a Comment